You don’t have to wait to receive services! Insurance companies know the importance of receiving therapy at an early age which is why they offer Bridge coverage.
Bridge coverage for ABA therapy refers to temporary coverage of Applied Behavior Analysis (ABA) therapy services provided to a child with autism by a health plan or insurer during a transition period when the child’s ABA therapy provider is changing or if they are waiting for a full autism evaluation to be completed. In order for the services to be covered the client needs to have an ADOS assessment completed by a psychologist.
ADOS stands for Autism Diagnostic Observation Schedule. It is a standardized assessment tool used by healthcare professionals to evaluate individuals for autism spectrum disorder (ASD). The ADOS is considered the gold standard for diagnosing ASD and is designed to observe and record behaviors that are characteristic of the disorder.
The ADOS is a semi-structured assessment that typically takes 60 to 90 minutes to complete. It involves a series of activities and tasks that are designed to elicit certain behaviors that are commonly seen in individuals with ASD, such as social communication difficulties, restricted and repetitive behaviors, and sensory issues. The assessment is conducted by a trained professional, such as a psychologist or psychiatrist, and involves direct interaction with the individual being evaluated.
The ADOS is just one component of a comprehensive autism evaluation and is often used in conjunction with other assessments, such as developmental and medical evaluations, behavioral observations, and interviews with parents and caregivers. The results of the ADOS, along with the other components of the evaluation, are used to determine whether an individual meets the criteria for an ASD diagnosis.
Bridge coverage may vary depending on the specific health plan or insurer and the circumstances of the transition period. It is important to check with the health plan or insurer to understand the details of their bridge coverage policy for ABA therapy services.
Here are some autism evaluation centers near Dearborn, Michigan that you may find helpful:
- The University of Michigan Autism and Communication Disorders Center – Ann Arbor, MI (about 30 minutes from Dearborn)
- The Beaumont Children’s Center for Human Development – Southfield, MI (about 20 minutes from Dearborn)
- The Henry Ford Health System Autism and Developmental Disabilities Clinic – Detroit, MI (about 15 minutes from Dearborn)
- The Michigan Medicine Autism Assessment Clinic – Ann Arbor, MI (about 30 minutes from Dearborn)
- The Center for Autism Research, Evaluation, and Service (CARES) – Canton, MI (about 25 minutes from Dearborn)